The Las Vegas Raiders’ offense line is going to look awfully different for their season opener on Monday night. Not only did they lose a handful of players in the offseason, one of their key veterans has been ruled out due to injury.
On Saturday, the Raiders announced that offensive guard Richie Incognito is out due a calf injury. He suffered that injury in a joint practice with the Rams in August.
Incognito will be replaced by second-year offensive guard John Simpson. The Raiders selected Simpson in the fourth round of the 2020 NFL Draft out of Clemson.
Simpson won’t be the only new starter for Las Vegas on Monday night, as Jon Gruden’s offensive line will also feature center Andre James, right guard Denzelle Good and right tackle Alex Leatherwood.
— Levi Damien (@LeviDamien) September 11, 2021
Despite all these changes to the offensive line, Gruden is very optimistic about this year’s group.
“We’re anxious to see our line,” Gruden said, via ESPN. “We know we’ve got four new starters there compared to last year at this time but we have some players with really big upsides and this will be a great test for them.”
Out of all the new faces on the offensive line, Simpson has received the most praise. Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Olson said the Clemson product was the “strongest player on our team, testing-wise” during training camp.
The NFL world will get to see the Raiders’ new-look offensive line on Monday night, as they’ll take on the Ravens in what should be an exciting AFC showdown.