The Dallas Cowboys will be without All-Pro guard Zack Martin in their season-opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this Thursday after he tested positive for COVID-19.
According to ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter, Martin tested positive for the dangerous virus despite being fully-vaccinated. However, since he is vaccinated, he can return to play within five days if he does not have symptoms and tests negative twice in a 24-hour span.
Speaking to the media, Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said that Martin is “frustrated” by his situation. But he said that he understands the situation.
“He’s frustrated obviously,” McCarthy said. “But, hey, this is the world we live in right now.”
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 5, 2021
Missing Zack Martin is a huge blow for the Cowboys – no matter the circumstances. When healthy, Martin is a perennial Pro Bowler and one of the most dominant blockers in the NFL.
Martin missed six games last year due to injuries but just eight games total since his rookie year in 2014.
The Cowboys are coming off a 6-10 season that saw the offense become anemic once star QB Dak Prescott was lost for the year. But Dak Prescott is usually at his best when his offensive line is healthy.
Not having Martin may be a bigger blow than the Cowboys anticipate. The season opener is just a few days away.
Can Dallas beat the Buccaneers this Thursday?