What happened to Ahmaud Arbery? The case was declared when the black jogger’s killers were found guilty.


What happened to Ahmaud Arbery? The case was declared when the black jogger’s killers were found guilty.

Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old black man, was jogging in a predominantly white neighborhood when he was followed and shot by a trio of white men in trucks.

His killers, who claimed they believed the unarmed jogger to be a burglar, have now been found guilty of his murder by an almost entirely white jury.

Travis McMichael, 35, his father Gregory McMichael, 65, and their neighbor William Bryan, 52, face life sentences in the case. Charges were not brought until 74 days after the shooting when video of the attack surfaced online last February.

Here are details on who Mr. Arbery was, his tragic death, and the high profile trial.

Mr. Arbery left his aunt’s home in Georgia at around 1:00 p.m. on February 23 last year to jog.

He was heading for the green subdivision of Satilla Shores, but after about 3 miles of his run passed Greg McMichael who saw him and thought he was running away from a crime according to a police report. McMichael urged his son Travis to grab a gun before jumping into their pickup truck and chasing the jogger. The duo’s neighbor, William Bryan, joined the chase and filmed the whole thing on his cell phone.

After being trapped by the trucks, Mr. Arbery is seen on video reaching for a shotgun that Travis McMichael has aimed at him. The 25-year-old from Braunschweig was fatally shot three times and turned to run before falling onto the street.

It took 74 days before the first charges were brought.

The trial began on October 18 with the charges against all three accused of murder, aggravated assault and wrongful imprisonment.

The three defendants alleged, without evidence, that Mr. Arbery was involved in a number of break-ins in their neighborhood.

The jury returned unanimous decisions on Wednesday, sentencing Travis McMichael, who opened fire on Mr Arbery three times with a pump-action shotgun, on all nine counts, including willful intent and murder.

Greg McMichael was convicted on eight of nine charges against him, including murder. Bryan, who was chasing Mr Arbery in a separate vehicle and not carrying a firearm, was convicted in six out of nine cases, including charges of murder.

The verdict came Wednesday in the Glynn County Courthouse after two weeks of testimony and evidence that the McMichaels alleged the shooting was an act of self-defense and that they attempted a civil arrest.

The jury appeared to agree with prosecutors’ arguments that Mr Arbery did not pose an imminent threat to the three men and that they had no reason to believe that the 25-year-old had committed any crime.

Outside the courtroom, Mr. Arbery’s mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones, said, “It was a long fight, it was an uphill fight, but God is good. To tell the truth, I never saw that day in 2020, I didn’t think that day would come … Thank you, thank you for those who marched. I thank those who prayed. “

Ms. Cooper-Jones was previously reported to collapse in court when she was shown footage of her son being killed for the first time. His father had to leave the court while the footage was playing.

The video played to the jury – made up of 11 white jurors and one black member – shows the younger McMichael pointing his shotgun at the 25-year-old who runs towards it before the fatal shots are fired.

In a statement, Benjamin Crump, the Arbery family civil rights attorney, said: “After nearly two years of pain and suffering and wondering whether Ahmaud’s murderers would be held accountable, the Arbery family finally have some justice.

“Nothing will bring Ahmaud back, but his family will have some peace, knowing that the men who killed him can stay behind bars and never put their mark of evil on any other innocent soul.”

The son of Marcus Arbery Sr and Wanda Cooper-Jones, Ahmaud Marquez Arbery, 25, lived in Braunschweig all his life.

His friends called him “Maud” or “Quez”, who worked long shifts in a truck washing company and in his father’s horticultural company.

According to his aunt Thea Brooks, Mr Arbery had saved up to return to college after he was forced to drop out of South Georgia Technical College when money ran out.

Mr. Arbery was a former linebacker for his high school football team, the Brunswick Pirates. His speed and agility made him a local soccer star who dreamed of joining the National Football League, but at six feet, he wasn’t tall enough, his family said.

Aside from his dream of becoming a soccer star, Mr Arbery also hoped to become an electrician and follow in the footsteps of three of his uncles.

Mr Arbery’s case was one of the most closely watched racial justice trials in the United States since the April conviction of Derek Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering another unarmed black man, George Floyd by kneeling on his neck for nine minutes.

Clean Bowled News


Comments are closed.