Pet owners are worried about toxic blue-green algae.

0

Austin, Texas — Blue algae were first detected in some of Austin’s major waterways a few years ago, but earlier this summer, Austin authorities said they were a by-product of blue-green algae along a small stream and basin in Austin. We confirmed the existence of cyanobacteria. In this announcement, some dog owners are worried that their pets will accidentally ingest the ingredients.

Isaac Ruiz, a resident of northern Austin, says she regularly checks water quality reports before heading to paths and streams with her five-year-old dog, Eva.

“I still take her out and avoid the water, but you know there is always a concern that she may get sick if she gets into the water,” he said.

Burton Springs, a space directly adjacent to Burton Springs, is a common place for him and many other pet owners, and authorities have detected deadly cyanobacteria in Burglique earlier this summer. After confirming that, it will continue to be one of his favorite outdoor spots.

Dr. Valhartwick, a college station-based veterinarian, urges pet owners to be aware of the dangers of blue-green algae. She says the name itself can be misleading, as the toxins can come from different colored algae.

“Unfortunately, many dogs that ingest bacteria die suddenly within hours, and that’s a really bad part of it,” she said.

Livestock are also at risk, she added, saying that nitrogen and phosphorus can help the growth of cyanobacteria.

“Algae of any kind on the surface, discoloration to water, I didn’t let the dog drink it. I don’t let them play in it. I don’t enter myself,” she said. He added that the symptoms vary from diarrhea to vomiting to dizziness.

Experts say that toxic algae die naturally when temperatures are low, but Lewis says he keeps checking water quality before stepping into streams and rivers.

Pet owners are worried about toxic blue-green algae

Source link Pet owners are worried about toxic blue-green algae

Share.

Comments are closed.